Want to run Stable Diffusion to generate your own AI diagram? Learn how to use the Stable Diffusion text-to-image generator with this guide. From the installation process to the cost, you'll find out everything you need to know to get started.
AI has taken the world by storm. In fact, according to Statistica, the global Artificial Intelligence software market will continue to grow in the coming years. Statistica reports that the AI software market will reach 126 billion dollars by 2025.
As the world continues to embrace AI, companies worldwide are investing in Stable Diffusion, an artificial intelligence-generated artwork model which can convert text into an image. In this guide, we'll discuss more Stable Diffusion. Read on to find out whether the image generator is free and the minimum hardware requirements for running Stable Diffusion.
What Is Stable Diffusion?
Stable Diffusion is a state-of-the-art text-to-image model. The model, launched in August 2022, has gained popularity from its ability to create high-quality images from text descriptions. If you are wondering whether that's possible, yes, it is.
Stable Diffusion uses the diffusion model to produce images from textual descriptions. The diffusion models are designed to generate new data (images) that resemble what they have seen in training.
Is Stable Diffusion AI Free?
Stable Diffusion is entirely free to use on both PC and Mac. Anyone interested in generating images from text descriptions can use AI for personal and commercial projects.
Stable Diffusion is available online, and it can also be downloaded and run on your computer, unlike other artificial intelligence-generated artwork models, which offer cloud-based computing services only.
Minimum Hardware Requirements for Running Stable Diffusion
Stable Diffusion requires a powerful hardware configuration to run smoothly. The minimum hardware requirements for running Stable Diffusion are:
A Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) is a specialized processor designed to handle complex calculations required for rendering graphics. Stable Diffusion requires significant computational resources to train and generate high-quality images. Therefore, you need a GPU that can handle the model's heavy workload.
NVIDIA RTX GPU is the only GPU well-suited for deep learning workloads such as Stable Diffusion. NVIDIA RTX GPU processes information faster. Thus, little time is taken to render an image from a text prompt.
Video Random Access Memory (VRAM) is the memory GPU used to store image data for graphics display. When using Stable Diffusion, the size of VRAM on your GPU will impact the quality of the generated images.
If there is not enough VRAM available, the model may need to use lower-resolution images or compress the input images to fit within the available memory, resulting in lower-quality generated images. Stability AI recommends a VRAM of at least 6.9 GB, but 4 GB can work too.
A minimum of 16 GB of DDR4 or DDR5 RAM is required.
At least 10 GB of available hard drive space is required.
How to Install Stable Diffusion
Installing Stable Diffusion is a complex process that requires a significant amount of computational resources, including powerful GPUs, large amounts of RAM, and high-capacity storage. Here are the steps to follow:
Step 1 – Install Python
- Start by downloading Python 3.10.6. Make sure you select 64-bit window installer.
- Once you've downloaded Python, open the installer and follow the instructions.
- Confirm whether the “Add Python 3.10 to PATH” is checked.
- If it's okay, click “Install Now” to install Python.
Uninstall older versions of Python before installing version 3.10.6 to avoid getting installation errors.
Step 2 – Install Git
- Start by downloading the latest 64-bit version of Git.
- Once it's downloaded, open the installer and follow the installation instructions.
- Don't interfere with the settings when installing.
Step 3 – Copy Stable Diffusion webUI from Git
- Start by creating a folder and then name it “stable-diffusion.”
- Click into the new folder and type cmd into the address bar. The Command Prompt window will open.
- Type git clone followed by this URL https://github.com/AUTOMATIC1111/stable-diffusion-webui.git
- Hit Enter.
- Check out your File Explorer, and you'll find a new folder named “stable-diffusion-webui.” This folder contains all the associated repository files.
Step 4 – Download a Stable Diffusion Model
- Start by downloading a stable diffusion model v1.5.
- Rename the downloaded File to “model.”
- Please select the File and press CTR + X to cut it.
- Copy the File and go to the stable-diffusion folder you created in step 3.
- Open the stable-diffusion-webui folder, and you'll see a folder called models.
- Click that folder, and select the folder named stable-diffusion.
- Paste your File there.
Step 5 – Update the Stable Diffusion
Follow the below steps to help you keep your Stable Diffusion always updated:
- Go back to the stable-diffusion-webui folder and open it
- Look for a file called webui-user.bat, and right-click on it
- Click on show more options> edit. The notepad will open
- Write Git pull at the top of the notepad
- Go to File and then hit Save
Step 6 – Launch the Stable Diffusion
- On your stable-diffusion-webui folder, look for webui-user.bat and double-click on it to complete the installation.
- After a while, you'll see a text that says, “Running on local URL: http://127.0.0.1:7860.”
- Copy and paste the URL to your browser to open the Stable Diffusion WebUI.
- Type in a prompt and click Generate to test the Stable Diffusion AI.
- After you're done, close the Command Prompt window.
- Double-click the webui-user.bat File anytime you need to use Stable Diffusion.
Where to Download Stable Diffusion Models
- Civitai: Civitaiis a free website designed for the Stable Diffusion of AI art models. Users can upload and share models trained to generate art in a particular style.
- Discord: A discord channel called Models-Embeddings contains Stable Diffusion models you can download for free.
- HuggingFace: HuggingFaceis one of the best platforms for Stable Diffusion AI art models. It has over 270 Stable Diffusion models.
Tips When Editing Text
- Experiment with different prompts to see how they affect the output images
- Use descriptive and specific language for the best results.
- Add the name of the artists to create images in their styles.
- Describe the type and genre of the art you want to create.
Follow the steps outlined above to create stunning images with Stable Diffusion AI. While generating high-quality images may take time and experimentation, the Stable Diffusion text-to-image generator offers impressive flexibility and control. With its open-source framework and dedicated community, Stable Diffusion is a valuable tool for artists, designers, and anyone interested in exploring the creative potential of AI.