Are you looking for the best macro tracking apps to help you reach your body goals? Join us as we discover the top-rated apps for counting calories, monitoring macros, and making healthier food choices.
Maintaining a balanced and nutritious diet is important to overall well–being. To achieve these goals, many people turn to macro-tracking apps. These powerful tools provide insight into daily nutritional intake. They enable users to make informed nutritional decisions and work towards their health and fitness goals.
Macro tracking is tracking your daily intake of macronutrients, or macros. Macros are the three primary nutrients the body needs to function: carbohydrates, protein, and fat. By keeping a record of these essential nutrients, you can gain reasonable control over your nutrition and work towards achieving specific health and fitness goals, including weight loss, muscle gain, or well-being. The key advantage of macro tracking apps lies in their user-friendly interface and extensive database of food items. Many apps offer features like barcode scanning, accurate food logging, recipe creation tools, etc.
In this article, we review the 15 best macro tracking apps, what they are, and why they are essential features to consider when choosing a macro tracking app. By the end, you will clearly understand the options at your disposal, equipping you to select the app that meets your health and fitness objectives.
What is a Macro Tracking App?
A macro tracking app is an online tool designed to help users track their daily intake of macronutrients or macros. These apps allow users to enter their food intake or scan food item barcodes manually. They calculate the macros for each food item a user takes and display the total macros for the day. These macro-tracking apps are available on smartphones and provide a convenient way to log your meals.
Here are some of the best 15 macro tracking apps that enable you to set your body goals, monitor your progress, and will allow you to create custom meal plans. You can find one that fits your needs and budget.
1. Carb Manager
Carb Manager is a macro tracking app designed for people following a low-carb diet. It has an extensive database allowing users to track their macros, calories, or other nutrients. Carb Manager offers both free and premium versions. The free version allows you to track your macros, calories, and other nutrients. The premium subscription to Carb Manager costs $9.99 per month or $39.99 per year. It unlocks all features, allows you to access exceptional recipes, and is ad-free compared to the free version, which supports ads.
- Carb tracking. Precise monitoring of carbohydrates, net carbs, and fiber intake.
- Large food database. It has an extensive food database with over 5 million foods, making it easier to find the foods you eat and track your macros.
- Barcode scanning. Input nutrition information by scanning barcodes on packaged food items.
- Tracking tools. Carb manager includes various tracking tools like a food diary, weight tracker, body measurements, and a progress chart.
- Community. The app has a community of users where you can connect with people to share and discover low-carb and keto-friendly recipes.
Available on Android and iOS devices. You can download the app from the App Store or Google Play Store.
MyFitnessPal is among the most popular macro-tracking apps known for its extensive food database and user-friendly interface. This fitness-tracking app allows users to track their food intake, weight, exercise, and other health metrics. MyFitnessPal offers both a free and premium version. The premium subscription, known as ‘MyFriendsPal Premium,' costs $10 per month or $79.99 per year. It offers all the app's features, like unlimited food logging, custom meal plans, unlimited recipes, and an ad-free experience. The free version offers features like tracking your food intake, exercise, and weight and support ads.
- Food Database. MyFitnessPal has an extensive food database with over 19 million foods, making it easy to find the foods you eat and track your macros, calories, and nutrients.
- Barcode Scanning. Log food easily by scanning barcodes on packaged products.
- Exercise tracking. The app allows you to track your daily workouts, including yoga, cardio, and strength training and also supports an in-built GPS to track your runs and walks.
- Weight tracking. MyFitnessPal allows users to track their weight and body fat percentage and has a goal-setting feature to track their progress toward fitness goals.
- Social features. You can connect with friends, share your achievements, and offer support within the ‘MyFriendsPal' community.
Available on Android and iOS devices.
Lifesum is a health and fitness-tracking app that helps users track their food intake, exercise, weight, and other related issues. The app was founded in 2015 and has over 40 million daily users globally. Lifesum provides personalized recommendations for maintaining and achieving specific health and fitness goals. Lifesum offers a free version and a premium subscription, whereas the free version only supports basic features and contains ads. The premium version approximately costs $9.99 per month or $44.99 per year. Lifesum premium subscription provides additional features like personalized meal plans, additional recipes, and detailed nutritional recommendations and is ad-free.
- Food tracking. Lifesum offers an extensive food database with over 15 million meals to log your meals accurately.
- Meal planner. You can create customized meal plans that match your dietary preferences and goals.
- Recipe library. You can discover and try out healthy recipes suitable for your dietary needs.
- Body measurement and weight tracking. Lifesum allows you to keep track of your body weight and height to keep track of your progress.
- Coaching. Receive professional recommendations to help you make the right choices about your diet and lifestyle.
- Hydration tracking. The app lets you monitor your water intake to stay hydrated all day.
- Integration. Lifesum may often sync with different fitness trackers and devices for a more efficient health-tracking experience.
Lifesum is available on iOS and Android devices.
FatSecret is a macro-tracking app that focuses on helping people manage their nutrition, track macronutrients, and maintain a healthy lifestyle. It is a calorie-counting and food-tracking app that allows users to lose or maintain a healthy weight. It was founded in 2007 and has grown to become among the most popular macro tracking apps, with over 100 million daily users globally. FatSecret is available in free and premium versions. This free version supports limited features and ads. The premium subscription costs approximately $6.49 per month. It supports additional features like nutritional and advanced meal planning, custom meal headings, and water tracking and is ad-free.
- Food diary. Plan and track your daily food intake to make monitoring your calorie and macronutrient consumption easier.
- Image recognition. Use your phone's camera to take photos of foods or meals for automatic nutrition tracking.
- Barcode scanner. Quickly add packaged products to your food diary by scanning their barcodes.
- Exercise tracking. Log your physical activities or workouts to record the calories you have burned.
- Weight tracker. Monitor your weight changes and progress.
- Photo album. FatSecret allows you to create a visual food diary with food photos and instacalories.
- Professional integration. You can sync with a FatSecret professional to share your data with a health professional to get personalized feedback or support.
Fatsecret is available on both Android and iOS devices.
Cronometer is an open-source nutrition tracking app that allows users to track their food intake, macros, micros, and other health-related issues. It is popular among individuals who prioritize nutritional data. Cronometer is free to sign up for but includes a premium subscription for additional features. Cronometer Gold premium version costs $8.99 monthly or $49.99 annually. Other features on the premium version include an intermittent fasting tracker, timestamps, nutrition scores, nutrient oracle, ad-free experience, and many more.
- Macro tracker. You can track up to 84 vitamins and minerals.
- Food journal. Cronometer has an extensive database with over 1.2 million foods, allowing you to log your food intake with a fast and user-friendly journal.
- Barcode scanner. Quickly add packaged food items by scanning their barcodes.
- Custom recipes. Create and track custom recipes for efficient food logging.
- Fitness tracker. Cronometer allows you to log different exercises with over 100 various activities.
- Nutrition report. You can view a 7-day nutrition analysis to identify deficiencies in your diet.
- Wear OS app. You can access your calorie, fitness, and macro tracker directly on your watch face.
- Integration. You can connect with different health and fitness platforms like Google Fit, Samsung Health, Fitbit, and Strava.
It is available for both Android and iOS.
6. My Macros+
My Macros+ is a diet-tracking app that provides a permanent solution for monitoring your nutrition and fitness goals. It lets you track your food intake and create custom foods and meals. My Macros+ offers two pricing plans: a basic plan for $1.99 monthly and a premium plan for $9.99 monthly. The excellent plan includes the Macro Coach feature and a 7-day free trial.
- Food database. My Macros+ has an extensive food database of over 5 million foods, enabling you to find the foods you eat quickly.
- Barcode scanner. You can scan barcodes to add food items to your diary quickly.
- Nutritional goals. Create and manage custom or multiple dietary goals.
- Weight tracking. Monitor your body weight with appealing graphs to track your progress.
- Built-in foods. The app includes built-in foods from popular brands and restaurants.
- Sync across iOS platforms. You can synchronize your data between all iOS devices.
My Macros+ is available for Android and iOS.
MacroFactor is a premium macro-tracking app that uses innovative coaching algorithms and nutrition science to aid users in achieving their diet and nutrition goals. It offers personalized macro plans and adaptive tracking to help its users understand their body's needs. MacroFactor is a paid app but has a 7-day free trial. Its premium subscriptions include $11.99 monthly, $47.99 half a year, and $71.99 yearly.
- Dynamic algorithm. The app supports a dynamic algorithm that adapts to changes in your metabolism, providing personalized calorie and macro intake targets.
- Weekly check-ins. Users receive weekly check-ins to help them stay on track toward their dietary goals.
- Macro tracking. MacroFactor offers fast macro monitoring with tools like custom foods or barcode scanning.
- Food database. Has a comprehensive food database with over 5 million foods.
- Macro programs. It supports custom macro programs based on your goals and preferences.
- Nutrient breakdowns. The app provides detailed analyses of micronutrients, macros, and more.
- Additional features. MacroFactor provides features like period and habit tracker, data insights, visualization, dark mode, and integrations.
The app is for Android and iOS devices.
8. Lose It
Lose It is a weight loss and diet-tracking app designed to help users achieve weight loss by monitoring their calorie intake, nutrition, and exercise. It is a calorie counter, weight loss, and food diary companion. Lose It offers a basic, free version with essential features and a premium version with additional features. The premium subscription costs $5 monthly or $39.99 per year.
- Weight loss goals. After downloading the app, you can set weight loss goals to help you stick to your diet.
- Calorie tracking. The app lets you track your calorie intake and monitor your nutrition easily.
- Intermittent fasting. Keep track of your irregular fasting schedule to aid in diet planning.
- Food database. The app offers a sizeable food database of over 47 million food and meal items.
- Barcode scanner. Scan food barcodes or search the database for easy food tracking.
- You can connect with other Lose It app users to share experiences and motivations for weight loss.
- Meal planning. Easily set meal targets to calculate recommended nutritional content, including calorie intake.
Lose It is available for Android and iOS devices.
Nutritionix Track is a fitness-tracking app developed and maintained by registered dietitians. The app simplifies and streamlines food logging and fitness tracking to help users work towards their nutrition and body goals. Nutritionix Track only offers a premium subscription but has a 2-month free trial. You can subscribe to access its premium version, which provides a Coach Portal where users share their track food log with dietitians, trainers, or coaches. The subscription costs $5.99 per month or $29 per year. Trainers or dietitians can register as coaches to work with Nutritionix Track clients.
- Food logging. Users can log all their foods in less than a minute.
- Natural language processing. The app works hand in hand with Natural Language Processing technology to improve logging accuracy.
- Barcode scanning. Nutritionix Track provides instant barcode scanning for packaged food items.
- Large database. It provides access to over 800,000 unique foods, covering 95% of grocery items in the US and Canada, and menus from over 760 US restaurant chains.
- Ongoing updates. The app adds new recipes and updates hundreds of foods daily.
- Tracking. You can track your food intake, nutrient totals, exercise, weight progress, calorie and macro goals, and water intake.
- Data export. Users are allowed to download their data in the form of a spreadsheet.
Nutritionix Track is available for Android and iOS devices.
FoodNoms is a nutrition-tracking app that gives users a fast, powerful, and user-friendly way to track their intake, set custom nutrition goals, and measure their progress toward health and fitness objectives. FoodNoms offers a free and premium version. The free version includes unlimited food tracking, setting nutrition goals, creating recipes and meals, integrating with the health app, receiving basic notifications, and exporting data in CSV format. The premium subscription begins from $4.99 per month to $29.99 per year and supports all FoodNoms features.
- Food logging. Easily log your food and beverage consumption with a visually appealing interface.
- Nutrition goals. Set specific goals tailored to your needs, including calories, macros, sugars, alcohol, caffeine, etc.
- Barcode scanning. Log packaged foods easily by scanning their barcodes.
- Custom foods and recipes. Create customized foods, recipes, and meals to share with other users.
- Extensive database. FoodNoms supports over 100,000 food items.
- Intermittent fasting. You can automatically track intermittent fasts to help you achieve your fasting goal.
- Track success. Easily monitor your progress for every nutrition goal with time.
FoodNoms is only available on iOS devices.
MyPlate is a nutrition and dietary app designed to help users set and achieve their nutritional goals within different food groups like fruits, vegetables, dairy, grains, and protein foods. It offers a variety of features to aid users in their journey towards a healthier diet. MyPlate is available in both a free and a premium version. The premium subscription starts from $9.99 per month or $49.99 per year.
- Smartwatch integration. You can choose to sync your goals or manage everything through your smartwatch.
- Goals. You can choose plans within specific food groups or use the ‘Pick for me' feature to promote a balanced diet or access pre-defined goals and tips.
- Track. Track and monitor your daily progress in every food category.
- Tips and notifications. Get directions to help you meet your goals and receive notifications and reminders to help you stay on track.
- Badge rewards. You get to earn badges after completing your food group goals or after completing challenges.
MyPlate is available for iOS and Android devices.
Yazio is a top-rated diet and weight loss app offering comprehensive features to help users with their dietary and fitness goals. It is a good app for people looking to lose weight or build muscles. Yazio is not a free-to-use app but offers a 7-day free trial of the PRO plan. It has three subscriptions: three months, six months, and one year. The Yazio PRO subscriptions start from $6.66 or $3.33 per month with an annual subscription. This subscription includes countless features like an extensive food database, nutrition coaching, recipes, etc.
- Food database. The platform gives access to a calorie table with over 2 million foods, making it easier for you to track the nutritional content of your meals.
- Nutrition tracker. Easily monitor your calorie, carbohydrate, fat, and protein intake for every meal.
- Meal creation. Create custom meals, add your favorite meals, or input new food items to keep your food diary accurate.
- Barcode scanner. Utilize the built-in barcode scanner for easy and quick food searches.
- Exercise tracking. Track your sports, exercises, and physical activities to monitor your calorie burn. You can also track your daily steps.
- Sync with the Health app. Yazio allows you to synchronize your data with the Health and other fitness apps.
- Today widget. You can access the app's features through the Today Widget and 3D touch feature.
- Weight tracker. Monitor your weight changes with the weight tracker.
Yazio is available on Android and iOS devices.
Stupid Simple Macro Tracker is an easy-to-use app designed to help users track their daily macronutrient intake. This app provides a range of features for those following a specific diet or monitoring their macros. The app is free to download and use but includes a premium subscription. A lifetime premium costs $34.99, a monthly premium costs $5.99, and a yearly premium costs $19.99. The free version has limited features compared to the premium subscriptions.
- Sync across devices. Easily sync your data between devices for a seamless tracking experience.
- Food bank. The app allows users to conserve calories in a food bank for special occasions.
- Warnings. You can set up notifications to alert you when approaching your macro limits.
- Barcode scanner. Access an extensive database of 500,000 foods to add items using the barcode scanner quickly.
- Food and water tracker. Keep track of your water and macros daily intake.
- Customizable goals. You can easily change your daily macro goals and track your progress.
- Clean layout. Review your daily foods and add daily notes with a clean and user-friendly interface.
Stupid Simple Macros Tracker is available for Android and iOS devices.
Macros is a versatile app that acts as a calorie counter and meal planner. It helps calculate your daily caloric needs, track macronutrients, and manage your diet. The platform helps you monitor your macro intake while allowing you to enjoy the foods you love. Macros are free to download and use but contain in-app purchases. The premium version costs approximately $3.99 per month or $29.99 per year. The subscription unlocks additional features and is ad-free.
- Tracking. Keep track of your macronutrients intake.
- Goal setting. You can choose to set your goals, whether it's weight loss, muscle gain, or maintenance.
- Food library. You can create a personalized library using the public library or adding your foods.
- Recipe creation. Create your unique recipes within the app.
- Keto diet. If you are following a keto diet, you can activate a net carb calculation.
- Barcode scanner. Make use of the integrated barcode reader for accurate food tracking.
Macros are available on iOS and Android devices.
Hitmeal is a calorie counter that helps you feel good, look good, and maintain a perfect relationship with your mind and body while fostering confidence and self-love. It offers countless features and tools to help you maintain a healthier lifestyle. Hitmeal is free, meaning you can enjoy all the features without paying for a subscription. You only need to purchase it directly from the store.
- Calorie counting. Monitor the calories you consume and align your eating habits with your specific goals.
- Nutrient tracking. Monitor the macronutrient composition of your favorite foods to ensure a balanced diet.
- Meal plans. Choose from HitMeal's meal plans to learn about recommended dishes by nutrition experts.
- Food database. You can log any food item you think of, as Hitmeal supports an extensive food database.
- Barcode scanning. The app offers barcode scanning to make it easier to log food.
Hitmeal is available on iOS 16.
These macro-tracking apps have got you covered when keeping track of your macros and achieving health and fitness body goals. Whether counting calories, monitoring your macronutrients, or aiming to make healthier food options, these macro-tracking apps offer various features to match your needs. They make it simpler to take control of your diet and work towards a healthier you. So, pick a macro tracking app that suits you best, and start your journey to a fit and healthier lifestyle today.