We can all agree that ChatGPT has taken the internet with a buzz. Is it the only AI tool you can use to generate codes? How accurate is it? Such questions can be lingering in your mind as a developer. In this article, we shall unveil more AI tools you can use as alternatives to ChatGPT for coding.
The use of chatGPT has dominated AI-powered tools. It enables developers to generate codes used to create software faster through its deep learning technology that interprets natural language and generates human-like technology.
However, it may not be everyone's best fit. There are several alternatives to ChatGPT with better features and are more user-friendly, affordable, and more accurate than chatGPT that you should try out.
Some of the best chatGPT alternatives for coding include the following;
TabNine is an AI power tool that uses your preceding code pattern and comments to predict and give relevant suggestions on the expected line. It has a free version with basic patching functions and a paid version with advanced patching.
Some of its amazing features include:
- TabNine has advanced code-native models that optimize each language for specific domains.
- It can support more than 30 programming languages.
- TabNine can be flexibly accessed locally and in cloud, depending on your security requirements and compliance.
- Highly intelligent in code completion, which enhances quality and consistency.
- TabNine takes a lot of memory space, and sometimes when used offline, high CPU usage can be experienced.
- Also, it can generate an error.
Some of its key features include:
- It can detect and rectify possible repetitions and change your variable names.
- Prioritizes possible results at the top of the completion list, thus making work easier. Moreover, one can add customized methods and codes in particular language properties.
- You can still use it if you run out of data (when offline).
- It works specifically with Visual Studio IDEs.
- It assures privacy.
It does not work with HTML.
GitHub is an AI assistant extension that uses code context and language to generate full code snippets. It can be accessed only by purchasing. However, it has a two-month free trial period.
Its key features are:
- GitHub has a powerful code generation capability.
- It is limited to remote service mode and thus requires the user to upload codes to a remote location.
- It supports Integrated Development Environment (IDE) platforms like Jet Brains and VS Code.
Sometimes, it can result in syntax errors due to code fragmentation.
Codeium is an AI-powered extension that utilizes previous code snippets to generate codes.
It is available for free.
Key features of Codeium are:
- It gives automated suggestions in over 40 programming languages like C++, PHP, Java, and many others.
- It saves time when searching for files, as it can predict the expected codes in the blink of an eye.
- It maintains company code private for those using the business plan by allowing them to direct their codeium in cloud or to private servers.
- Most effective for bulk data because it's highly trained on a bulk database of public code.
CodeWhisperer is an AI coding tool that uses context and language to generate code recommendations in IDE. It was developed by Amazon to mainly supports codes for AWS services. During the preview period, it is free; however, after that, you'll be required to subscribe to use it.
Some of its key features include:
- It provides exceptional security as it requires users to scan code.
- CodeWhisperer is comparably more accurate since it provides syntactically correct and secure codes.
- It utilizes Machine Learning (ML) to build applications, thus saving time.
It is limited to a few programming languages and one IDE, thus not flexible to use.
AskCodi is an AI assistant tool that is empowered to facilitate code generation by its ability to learn and interpret natural languages on your IDEs. OpenAI Codex powers it, and the paid version of AskCodi has more advanced features.
Key features of AskCodi are:
- It supports over 30 programming languages like Angular, Swift, and Rust. Besides, it is capable of giving answers to WordPress users.
- Easily integrates with IDEs like VS Code.
- It supports and trains several natural languages and is trained on multiple Open Source public code lines.
If you’re a newbie to coding, try utilizing AskCodi. It is easy to install and use from the comfort of your seat!
Codex is an AI code generator developed from GPT-3. Its training involves both natural language and publicly available lines of source codes. Codex powers GitHub Copilot.
Its key features are:
- Most proficient in Python and supports more than twelve other programming languages like Perl, Java, and many more.
- Can interpret simple commands in a natural language before executing them on behalf of the developer.
- Has the capability to build a natural language for existing apps.
Q. Are AI Code Generators Reliable?
AI code generators are very important to developers. By just interpreting past activities, like code patterns and comments, they can predict what you're likely to type next and generate codes for you. Most codes are bound to be correct, but you should not completely rely on them since, at times, some codes have a syntax errors. It is crucial always to counter-check and make possible corrections. They are just a supplement to human knowledge but not accurate as natural human knowledge.
Q. What is the Future of AI and Programming?
AI technologies like GitHub have made work for programmers easier. It reduces the workload and saves time by generating codes quickly by interpreting simple natural language and making possible predictions. Nonetheless, it cannot replace human beings completely because some codes generated are illogical and require cross-checking and further research. It cannot handle complete autonomy.
AI tools are here with us. They simplify our work and save time. Many of them are the best alternatives to ChatGPT in coding and have more powerful features than ChatGPT. If ChatGPT is not your choice, you can utilize its alternatives and still achieve the required or better results. However, cross-checking is always important to avoid errors because these AI-powered tools are not 100% accurate.